Users' questions

Can a doctor keep you against your will?

Can a doctor keep you against your will?

You can be kept at the hospital against your will if you’re a danger to yourself or others because of your mental state. People in this situation are sometimes called involuntary patients. You generally have the same rights as other patients, but some special rules apply.

What’s the best way to get medical advice?

On this page we give details of the main ways in which to get medical advice, and seek treatment. If your situation is life-threatening then always call 999. But try not to use emergency services unless it is absolutely necessary. This the first point of contact for non-urgent concerns and general health enquiries / information.

How can I get help with a medical problem?

Call telephone number 111 speak to someone at the NHS 111 service – they will answer any questions you have, and will ensure that you are put in touch with the right service quickly if they think your situation is more urgent. If your medical problem is non-urgent you can book an appointment with your GP surgery.

What are the most frequently asked medical questions?

You will find medical questions asked by people like you and answers to them. These will be the most frequently asked medical questions and covers almost all topics ranging from emotional turmoil, psychological disturbances, sexual problems, contraception to viruses and illegal drugs.

What to do if you Cant get a GP appointment?

If you have any concerns, please seek advice before registering. If you cannot get a GP appointment as quickly as you would like then consider using the NHS 111 (see above), visiting a walk-in clinic, or speaking to your local chemist for advice (see below).

How to choose a health care agent for a living will?

You should choose a person who meets the following criteria: Meets your state’s requirements for a health care agent Is not your doctor or a part of your medical care team Is willing and able to discuss medical care and end-of-life issues with you Can be trusted to make decisions that adhere to your wishes and values

Is there a substitute for a Doctor’s advice?

The medical field is quite broad, and covers a wide range of disciplines and specializations. Some of the more prominent categories within the medical field are: Regardless of the specific type of medical issue, there’s just no substitute for a doctor’s advice. Unfortunately, travelling can be very difficult if you’re not feeling well.

When to use living wills and advance directives?

By Mayo Clinic Staff Living wills and other advance directives are written, legal instructions regarding your preferences for medical care if you are unable to make decisions for yourself.

Do you need a living will for a do not intubate order?

Do not resuscitate and do not intubate orders. You don’t need to have an advance directive or living will to have do not resuscitate (DNR) and do not intubate (DNI) orders. To establish DNR or DNI orders, tell your doctor about your preferences. He or she will write the orders and put them in your medical record.